Saturday, November 8, 2014

Friday Night Halloween

I've been posting about our Halloween for the last couple of years, so even though I'm about a week behind, I wanted to give a recap of this year's Halloween.

We always get together with friends for Halloween, and this year we had a full house.  The Husband made huge pots of chili.  The Boy was MC Hammer and The Girl was Super Girl.



Awesome.  Also seen at our house: Steve from Minecraft, a Ghostbuster & the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, a Panda Bear, Cleopatra, and Dorothy.

The Boy and his friends went out on their own, and The Husband took The Girl out to about a dozen houses before coming back and hanging out with our friends.  My friend, M, and I hung out on our front porch and passed out candy for two hours.  Which I loved.  It's fun to see what the kids are wearing, and I enjoy chatting with them.  It was a blast.

The first hour typically belongs to the younger kids- like The Girl who goes out early and who's ready to come home before the first hour is up.  The second hour is about the older kids.  We also see a lot of kids from the next neighborhood over in the second hour.  The next neighborhood over is rougher, and families prefer to trick or treat over here.  Occasionally I'll see kids that The Boy has gone to school with.

This year I saw TJ.  Which, I can't even tell you how happy that made me.  I have a soft spot for that kid.  During the years that The Boy was in elementary school I got to know TJ.  He's a smart kid, who can be very kind.  But he has a short fuse.  It was always easy for kids to push his buttons and get him into trouble.  He didn't always make great choices.  His home life is unstable.  His father is in prison and his mother is prone to depression.  She leaves for long periods of time, leaving TJ and his three siblings to scatter with relatives.  My understanding is that they're often not together.  He's at a different middle school than The Boy, and I have to admit to worrying about him a little bit- I knew I wouldn't be able to keep an eye out for him this year.

It was so nice to see him.  When I said 'TJ is that you?  It's good to see you!'  And he smiled.  And he assured me that he was doing well.  Things were going well for him in middle school.  And that was it. Not much but it was good to see him, and good to see him smile, and good to hear that he was doing well.  I hope he is and I hope it continues.  I worry about him, and frankly, I worry about a few other kids who are at different schools who we don't see anymore.  I hope everyone is all right.

The rest of the night was fantastic.  Lots of chili, beer, wine, and of course candy.  The Boy and his friends went crazy on the candy really.  We found all kinds of candy wrappers in the rec room the next day.  There was plenty of good conversation with people who we enjoy seeing.  Honestly, I don't think Halloween could have been any better.  2015 will have a lot to live up to.


No comments:

Post a Comment