Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Brief Tribute to My Doc Martens



Me: 'I don't know.  I guess I'm just feeling uninteresting.  I just feel like I'm doing nothing with my life. Like last year?  I was.  And now nothing.'

S: 'I don't know what to say.  What to say to that.  I know.  I mean, I even went out and bought myself a pair of Doc Martens.  And it wasn't enough.  I still feel the same.'

Me: 'I know!  I still have my pair from like 20 years ago!  I love them.  I wear them when I'm feeling badass.'

Because seriously.  Better than a sports car at this stage of my life.  And?  They're the one thing that unites us…




And also.  Much love for Alexei Sayle & The Young Ones.  We miss you, Rik Mayall.




4 comments:

  1. Hey there, I found you via the NaBloPoMo blogroll.

    I've taken photos of my docs ready to do a Shoe Sunday on them but I haven't written the post yet. I've had mine for over 20 years too, they were made in England. When I was looking at replacing them everything was made in Thailand. *sob*

    As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can, and I also add participating blogs to my feed reader.

    So I’m just dropping by to let you know I’ve added your blog to my feedreader, I’m reading you loud and clear, I have a link up going at my place so my readers can find participating blogs which you are more than welcome to add your blog link to.

    Looking forward to seeing your posts, and you’ll likely see me drop by again during November.

    Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
    Snoskred
    http://www.snoskred.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I had no idea they were making Docs in Thailand now. That is sad. My English ones have held up well- hopefully I'll have them for 20 more years.

      Thank you for adding me to your feedreader! I'm looking forward to visiting your blog and reading Shoe Sunday!!

      Happy NaBloPoMo to you too!
      Holly

      Delete
  2. I found you through NaBloPoMo too. I've acquired two pairs of docs (red and pewter) in the last 2 years -- I just don't feel myself without them. I've got a 20 year old pair in storage (we were brutal about what we could bring with us to China -- it had to fit in 7 suitcases for the 3 of us) and remember traveling from Arizona to the nearest store, in Santa Monica, to buy my first pair over 30 years ago. Every once in a while, I just need to put them on and stomp down the street in that peculiar rolling gait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, I wore them today and know just what you mean about that rolling gait! I should probably look into some other colors. I've had that black pair for so long. Thanks for stopping by. I just made a quick visit to your blog. Looking forward to taking a little more time and reading about your life in China!

    ReplyDelete