Monday, August 18, 2014

Sum-meh

I had really been looking forward to this summer.  With The Boy moving on to middle school, a lot of my previous obligations are finished.  At least until The Girl is ready to start elementary school and a couple of other activities that she's too young for yet.  Anyway, this was going to be a fun summer.  I had no planning to do for an upcoming school year or soccer season.  All I had to do was figure out ways to keep The Kids busy.  I booked a few camps for The Boy.  I spent time looking into different things for us to do around town.  We got passports.  I started to plan out of town trips.

Two out of three fell through.

I had no idea until this summer how much I relied upon going to see my father in Tampa and my mother in Baltimore.  Four to five days in each town- in addition to you know, visiting relatives- gives us a nice break from Pittsburgh.  It's a great town, but you don't get a chance to miss it if you never leave.  My father thought he'd be traveling for work so we canceled that trip.  My grandmother has had a lot of problems this summer, so my mother has been dealing with that.  Obviously, a bad time to visit.

Not getting away turned this summer into an excess of time yawning before me.  I couldn't keep up.  Our mornings grew lazier.  Screen time got away from me and the kids had too much of it.  The Boy at least had camps.  Those were the weeks when I had hoped to schedule playdates for The Girl and I did.  But a couple of her friends had schedules that didn't match up with ours and so we couldn't fill all the days with friends and fun.  When did she become so social?  She missed her friends and found it entirely unfair that her brother had his friends over way more often than she had hers.

I was disappointed in myself for not being more creative with our time.  Not just doing things in town but also maybe day trips?  I thought of a few possibilities at the very end of the summer and was annoyed that I hadn't thought of them sooner.  Here I thought I had done such a good job of researching summer fun, but we just couldn't make it all happen.

Of course we've had fun this summer.  Because it's summer after all. Several trips to Sandcastle, Kennywood, museums, pools, parks, and ice cream parlors.  We saw lots of friends and The Boy enjoyed his camps.  Really, it's just that I knew that we'd have more time this summer than we'd had previously and I wanted to make the most of it.  I wanted to do special things with my kids.

So with one weekend left, we'll be doing the most special thing we've done all summer.  We're taking the kids to Niagara Falls for a couple of days.  Which is why we got the passports.  Anyway, we're all looking forward to it like crazy.  We can't wait to get out of town.  Pittsburgh, here's to missing you for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment