Saturday, November 30, 2013

Day 30: What I Learned from NaBloPoMo

I had already planned to do a 'What I Learned' post today, when this appeared in my inbox this morning.

Oh, well.  I'll just modify a bit.

I read through the 8 lessons NaBloPoMo posted this morning.  Several of the lessons have to do with 'letting go of perfection' and being true to you, writing original ideas, and not caring so much what other people think.  All of those lessons really resonated with me.  I certainly don't think that I've ever achieved perfection on this blog, but I do try just about every time I write a post.  Except, when you're posting daily, that's hard to do.  There were several posts I hit the publish button on, that I'm not so sure I was really happy with this month.  I won't tell you which ones, but trust me.  They're out there.  There were days that I found myself tired or pressed for time and I just thought, fuck it.  I'm done.  I will try to  do better tomorrow.  I found it oddly freeing.  Which was…nice.

Another author of the 8 lessons mentioned 'keeping NaBloPoMo on top of their to do list'.  Which, sadly, I did not do at all.  With two kids it just couldn't be on the top of my to do list.  At least, I couldn't figure out how to put it there.  The first week I thought I might even quit, I was falling so far behind.  I talked myself out of it though, and just made an effort to post when I could.  My posts were mostly going up a day or two late, but they were going up, and I felt good about that.  And!  My last few posts did go up on time (this one included).  So.  Progress.

The final thing I learned was, when you have to post every day writer's block is very likely to happen.  One of the 8 lessons mentioned was 'embracing the prompts'.  And I should have.  I really, really should have.  But the days that I had a hard time coming up with something to write about were the days that I just didn't find the prompts resonating with me.  I know that's not how a prompt works.  You start to write about the prompt and let it take you where it will.  And it may have nothing to do with the original prompt in the end.  But I just forced myself to come up with something, however meager, and wrote about that instead.  If I do this next year, I promise to try to embrace the prompts.

Anyway.  I loved doing NaBloPoMo.  It's a great feeling to look back at this month and realize that I've written every day.  That it can be done.  Or, rather, that I can do this and I should be doing this.  That I should be blogging more than once or twice a month.  There's no reason that I can't get out a post every week.  And after NaBloPoMo, I feel very motivated to do just that.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I had been trying to blog once a week, but sometimes life gets in the way! Even blogging once a week, I didn't get NEAR as many views as I did blogging daily, but daily just isn't realistic for me! Glad to know someone is in the same boat....

    ReplyDelete