Monday, November 18, 2013

Day 18: My Monday Morning

My plan was to start this week off right.  I had gone to the gym, I was reasonably on time getting the kids ready for school.  I had already made the decision that The Girl wasn't going to school today.  She was sick- bad cold- so that made my morning all the easier.

And then, two minutes before we had to walk out the door, I heard this from The Boy: 'Mom!  There's something large and black moving on the wall!'

I stared at it for a good minute- was it a large bug?  no, we're in Pittsburgh, not the tropics- before I realized what the hell it was.


A bat.  A goddamn bat.  Messing up my morning.

Suddenly we were running late.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I called The Husband first, who assured me that he would take care of it as soon as he got home.  In four hours.  I didn't find that helpful.

I Googled 'how to get a bat out of your house'.  It's not that the information wasn't helpful.  I just didn't want to do anything myself.

So my next step was to call Critter Control.  Theirs was one of the first numbers that came up when I Googled 'who will get a bat out of your house'.  They told me that they would be there as soon as they could.

The Girl and I went to a neighbor's house and I waited for them to call.  Jake was at our house in less than two hours.

It didn't take long.  The bat was still sleeping in the same place he'd been all morning.  Jake scooped up the bat and secured him in a sort of envelope.  And that was that.  If I wasn't so relieved to have him out of the house I would have felt silly for calling.

We can't figure out how he got in the house.  Maybe through the chimney?  Except our chimney cap is pretty new and very secure.  Jake pointed out a couple of places on the third floor where maybe he could have come in, although it would have been unusual for him to come down to the first floor from the third.  Maybe he flew in when I left the house to go to the gym?  But I can't imagine that I wouldn't have noticed, or that the cat wouldn't have noticed.  Our cat was in the living room this morning and watched me leave.  Actually, he seemed oblivious to the bat all morning.  Which is strange because he always lets us know when there's something out of the norm happening.  Mice, bugs, a leaky dishwasher- the cat is always on top of it.

It would be great to figure out how he got in so that we can block off the entry.  But Jake also said that it's unusual to find bats inside this late in the year.  It's usually a summertime thing.  So hopefully we've got some time to figure it out.




2 comments:

  1. Holly! You have touched on one of my greatest fears! I laughed through the entire first half of this post because it could have just as easily been ME! I have a huge fear of bats, because for some reason, they "like" me. In my 40 (isn) years I have had no less than THREE bats dive bomb me and actually get STUCK in my hair- in incidents at least 3-4 years apart, and in different states. What is it about me? I would have been OUT of your house so fast, I wouldn't have even waited for the Google results! Just last year we had a bat take up residence in the cove in front of our front door. I used the back door for months- for everything. I found out that putting a fan nearby disrupts the air flow, and will encourage them to" move on." The neighbors thought I was nuts hooking up the high speed turbine fan at 2 pm every day. I wasn't taking my chances anywhere close to dusk, for a hair incident #4. The TERROR!! Anyway, glad it was such an easy thing for you to take care of- BEFORE the hubby got home. (live with a bat inside the house for 4 hours??? who does that? lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I'm falling behind on NaBloPoMo! Your experiences with bats are crazy! I thought it was a myth that bats went for hair! I can't believe that's happened to you 3 times. How do you get them out? The fan thing is interesting- I'll definitely have to remember that. Since this has happened I'm amazed at how many people have had bats in their houses too. But your story is by far the worst. May you never have to deal with bats again!

      Delete