Saturday, November 16, 2013

Day 16: Sick Day

The Boy woke up not feeling well today.  While we were out last night I could see it on his face.  He just looked awfully...tired.  And pale.  So it was no surprise that he woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose this morning.

As a result, there was a lot of lying around the house, which my children aren't that good at doing.  Even when they're sick, they seem to have incredible amounts of energy.  So by this evening they were a little cross.  And irritable.

Tonight after dinner I pulled out one of my favorite movies to share with the kids.  The Princess Bride. It's a great movie even when you're feeling well, but it was always a movie I reached for when I was sick.  Maybe because Fred Savage is sick in the movie.  It just seems like the quintessential sick movie to me.  That and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  Even though Ferris isn't really sick in that movie, just pretending so that he can, you know, take the day off.

Anyway, it was a fun movie night.  The kids enjoyed it, especially The Boy, which is great because he had resisted the movie when he was younger.  Probably because the word 'Princess' is in the title.  I'm glad that he's past that.  I'm not sure how much The Girl understood, but she didn't like Prince Humperdink, so she clearly understood at least a little bit.

The Boy tells me this is his favorite part of the movie:



2 comments:

  1. Those are some of my favorites too! When we moved to the Chicago area, we found out that we were living in the neighborhood where many of the scenes from Ferris Bueller and Home Alone were shot- that renewed interest in those movies for us! Princess Bride is one of my all time favorites, and you are right, its the perfect "sick" movie- entertaining and funny but not exhaustingly so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool! I think John Hughes shot a lot of his movies in that neighborhood. Princess Bride is great, and one of my favorites too- even when I'm not sick.

    ReplyDelete