Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 15: Cake & Taffy

Today is my birthday.  It's the day after my grandmother's.  I'm exactly fifty years and one day younger than she is.

It's been a quiet birthday this year, which was just what was needed around here. My sister-in-law watched the kids so The Husband and I could go out for a nice dinner on Thursday.  Among other things I learned that I enjoy Old Etonians and I need more pepper jelly in my life.

Tonight we went out with friends for Mexican food, and then back to their house for Prosecco and the most delicious raspberry cake I've ever had in my life.  Have I had raspberry cake before?  Maybe not, but if I did, I'm sure it didn't measure up to this one.  My God.  Was it freaking good.

Oh, and also?  Our friends sent me home with three pounds of taffy.  Three pounds. Which, honestly, was such an awesome gift.  I have an irrational love for taffy.

When I had a radio show I would play myself songs for my birthday every year. Here was one of my favorites:


2 comments:

  1. Raspberry cake? I've never heard of it. Is there a recipe :-) I love orange cake, and this summer we had a ton of raspberries in the garden. Hmmm, I should find a recipe online, shouldn't I. I'm NaBloPoMo-ing too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the recipe! My friends bought it from an excellent bakery here called Allegro Hearth. It sounds like they just blend raspberries into their vanilla buttercream icing and vanilla cake:
      http://allegrohearth.com/pastries/cakes/raspberry-frosted-cake/

      Delete