Friday, November 1, 2013

Day 1: A Very Tiring Halloween


This was only the beginning.

The fall parade and party at school happened right during The Girls' nap time.  Unfortunate, but she's missed naps before.  And we couldn't miss The Boy's last fall parade in elementary school.

He was Bart Simpson, in case you weren't sure.  The Husband found something online about using ping pong balls for Simpson eyes.  I think we could have made the pupils larger, but otherwise I think they worked?  Hard to tell.  He got the added bonus of yellow face paint for trick or treating- no time to do it at school.  The Girl was a butterfly for trick or treating, but refused to wear her costume to the parade and party that afternoon.  So she wore her superhero cape for the afternoon instead.

Of course, I was completely behind on all things Halloween this year, so we crammed as much Halloween into the afternoon as we could before trick or treating started.  Painting pumpkins and carving a jack-o-lantern.  Hanging decorations.  Cooking for a dinner at a friend's house afterward.

The cooking took longer than expected.  I took The Girl to a few neighbors' houses, and then The Husband took The Boy and a friend to the house where we were having dinner later.  They went trick or treating over there.  I attempted to cook and answer the door for candy in the meantime.  It was raining, but it was also 70 balmy degrees, so we were slammed.  I was so grateful when a friend stopped by.  She handed out candy while I attempted to finish a tray of potatoes and feed our daughters.  We ran out of candy and had to dip into some birthday party candy from two weeks before.  Crazy.

We got to our friend's house right around 8.  We all had a cocktail and sat down to a late dinner.  It was very nice, and the kids were amazingly well behaved considering they were up late and wired on sugar.  At least, well behaved until later today when they lost their minds.  (I mean, The Boy lost his mind.  He lost it hard too.  I have no desire to go into it.  I think we're ok now.  I mean, we'll see.)  Anyway, it all tired me out completely and I spent the day recovering.  The Boy's meltdown didn't help at all.  But, hey!  Tomorrow's Saturday.  So that's good, right?

Also good?  NaBloPoMo started today, so I'll be posting here daily throughout the month of November.  Two things are good about that for me.  First, I've wanted to do it for a few years now, but was worried that I wouldn't or couldn't make the time.  (Look at me making time!)  Secondly, I've been a giant slacker about posting lately, so I think this could be the kick in the ass that I needed.  I hope it is anyway.  I certainly need something.




No comments:

Post a Comment