Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Close, But No Cigar

So, the doctor appointment earlier this month was actually one of a series of visits that I had made to the doctor in August & September.  Because it was time for my yearly check up.  Had the cancer come back?  Was there any need to worry?

Well, almost no need.  Over the course of a couple of weeks I had had thyrogen injections, blood work, and an ultrasound.  The ultrasound tech seemed to be a pretty nice guy, and of course, he had assured me at my visit that there was nothing to worry about.  And there really isn't.  But the official results came back stating that there were, '2 benign-appearing lymph nodes within the right thyroidectomy bed'.  So, that's good?  No, no, I'm sure that it is.

As a matter of fact, my endocrinologist didn't even bring that up at my appointment.  Overall, he seemed rather pleased with my results.  Except...  My thyroglobulin value came back at 0.3.  Well below standard range, but they had been hoping to see it at 0.0.  Apparently, this is common, and I probably really don't have to worry about a thing.  But my doctor sort of is and that makes me anxious.

Dr. E. says that they often see this and it should be down to 0.0 by this time next year.  However, since I had a slightly more aggressive cancer they're going to be conservative with me.  I will continue to be monitored with blood work, and then I will go through the thyrogen/ blood work/ ultrasound testing again.

Honestly, I can't remember if I go through the testing again next year or the year after.  I think he said not for two years because I could still have slightly elevated readings next year.  I should remember for sure but I don't.  I was feeling a little angry with myself for not being 100% in the clear.  WTF body of mine? Where the hell do you get off with that shit?  Anyway.  I'm trying not to think about it and I've been busy enough that I actually have barely thought about it at all.  I even sort of forgot about it there for a while, because of the busy-ness.  And that's ok.  I could stand to forget about it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment