Friday, April 12, 2013

So, It's April Now!

Where the fuck did March go?  Watching my writing and blog-upkeep slip away from me last month, two things suddenly made a lot of sense.  First, I understood why my last post in 2010 was written on March 2.  And secondly, I understood why, when I began blogging again last year, I didn't start until the end of May.  Even though I got my diagnosis a month before.  And I went to the doctor a month before that.

Basically, March just usually kind of sucks over here.

All of my obligations seem to get busy in March.  I never think that March is going to be busy because the actual events take place in April.  But of course, we have to spend time getting ready for them in March- the month that I keep telling myself will be the month when I can relax because... clearly I have problems remembering this shit from year to year?

Anyway.  One thing that I learned last month is that people seem to be increasingly entitled and selfish.  So yea for that.   It didn't matter which project I was working on.  People felt the need to either try to get inside information, or work angles, or make demands- sometimes at the expense of others, or bully people, or cover their own asses.  And all of these things are sometimes people just giving in to their basic human nature, I guess.  But it would be nice if once in a while people would think about themselves as being a part of a larger community, and how their actions impacted the lives of other people in the community- including children.

Statements like this are the reason my husband likes to refer to me as a communist.

Of course, I do realize that there are many, many people out there doing amazing work for the communities that they live in- both large and small.  I work with people every day who work incredibly hard at making their corner of the world a better place.  I just wish that there were more of them.  People like that were in particularly short supply in my life last month.  Maybe April will be different.

(Can you believe that yesterday I was told that I am an optimist?  And that I was referred to as a 'glass-half-full person'?  And someone said that I was a very positive person and they felt that they should hang out with me more?  Maybe all of my negativity just comes out when I write.)

Not everything around here is doom, gloom, and me being so fucking judgey.  Today happens to be our wedding anniversary.  Sixteen years of wedded bliss.  It was drizzly and chilly in Pittsburgh the day we got married, and today's forecast looks to be about the same.  We celebrated our anniversary last week by going out to a fantastic dinner and then going to see Book of Mormon (hilarious!).  My in-laws had such a good time watching the kids that they've insisted on coming back this week so we could go out to dinner on our actual anniversary.  My husband is thrilled because it means the house will get (sort of) cleaned two weeks in a row.  woo hoo!  And, of course, we're also excited to go get delicious food in a grown up restaurant twice in one month.  I can't remember the last time that happened.

I was going to post a picture of my husband and I here as happy newlyweds, but we got married in 1997.  Which means everyone was still using this thing called film and just about all of my pictures from the twentieth century were taken that way.  So they're in books and photo boxes.  (Fun fact- the first two years of my son's life are also mostly on film because even in the early 21st century I was resistant to digital cameras.  I can remember telling my husband how much I liked film and that's what I was going to use and blah, blah, blah.  And now I want to get a scanner so I can have all of my children's pictures on the computer and my husband can't roll his eyes at me often enough when this comes up.  What did I think?  That digital cameras were a passing fad?) 

Instead I'll post a video.  The spring we got married Odelay was everywhere.  It had been out for over ten months, but apparently people couldn't get enough of it.  We heard the album so much that weekend, we joked with our friends that it was the unofficial soundtrack to our wedding.  I have a distinct memory of riding to the reception in the limo with our friends, all of us singing along to Devil's Haircut.  You're lucky I'm not posting a recording of that.







No comments:

Post a Comment