Monday, February 11, 2013

I Make The Weather

Friday mornings, when I do them right, start off with me going to the gym first thing.  The gym is less than five minutes from our house, so there really aren't too many good excuses to not go.  (Although I come up with them anyway.)  This past Friday, as I drove in, I was listening to this story on NPR.  This was what I heard in the parking lot, right before going in:

"We only know the locations and trajectories of about 1 percent of asteroids this size or larger," Lu says. "So for every one of these, there's 99 out there we don't know about."

Heh.  Suddenly my workout seemed so meaningless.  Why worry about your abs when we don't know anything about 99% of the asteroids out there for fucks sake?  Gawd.

***

Mighty Girl had this posted over at her blog last week:

“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.” -Haim Ginott

You can read more Haim Ginott quotes here.  He has a lot of good stuff to say.  My favorite parenting book is How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk.  He didn't write it, but but he was a mentor to Faber & Mazlish and it's heavily based on his work.  Seriously good stuff.  I try to re-read it every couple of years or so, and I am way overdue for a read.  As evidenced by the Boy who is in a constant state of ten-ness.  ugh.  A friend of mine is convinced that it's hormones (she has two stepdaughters and has been down this road once before, and is going through it a second time).

Yesterday was ugly.  Apparently I had single-handedly ruined his entire weekend.  I don't know how, but I somehow managed to have one friend come down with an illness, I made sure that something came up for another friend's family so that their plans would change, and I also fixed it so that two friends were not at all home when he called.  Haha!  Do not ask me how I do these things.  I do not know.

I mostly kept my cool.  I think.  But I know that I let some snark and sarcasm out during the course of this conversation (which started and stopped a few times).  That has been a new habit of mine lately, and I know that it needs to stop.  We're a pretty sarcastic family and usually it's funny, but it's just not appropriate in these situations.  I'm probably scarring the poor kid for life.

I've got to get back to helping my kids become what they are capable of becoming.  I need to start using my power to make life joyous.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment