Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Well.  That pretty much sums up this past week.  In the interest of ending with the Good though, I'll work backwards.  Let's get the Ugly and the Bad out of the way first.

The Ugly.

At the risk of sounding like my mother- which frankly, happens more often the older I get- I'm talking about the weather.  It was ugly this week.  Not North Dakota ugly, but it was awfully cold for Pittsburgh in January.  Right around 20 degrees for most of the week, and not even getting that high for a couple of days.  It meant that Tuesday and Wednesday the boy's school had two hour delays.  Which made for ridiculously lazy mornings and very short days.  But it was fucking cold!  So who felt like doing much of anything anyway?  Not me.  That's for sure.

The Bad.

The Boy.  ugh.  He did not have a great week.  It started with spelling bee trials on Wednesday.  He was eliminated after the first round, which naturally upset him.  Of course, he had spent a total of like an hour with the spelling list that he's had for two months.  They had also spent time on it in school, but still.  Unrealistic expectations.  Here he hadn't wanted to do it anyway, and then he was forced to, and now he was upset because he had wasted so much time.  Wait, what?  Finally I just gave up.

Which was good because it turned out that I needed that energy for Friday when we spent time in the principal's office after school.  A younger kid who annoys the Boy and his friends was, well, annoying the boy and his friends after school on Friday.  One of his friends really got into it with this younger kid.  But the Boy was in trouble because, as is his way, he couldn't keep his mouth shut and he said a few unkind things.  sigh.  Mouthiness really runs on my side of the family.  We are an opinionated, sometimes self-righteous, lot.  Clearly some work needs to be done on how to express opinions and when to keep your mouth shut.

The Good.

Morrissey.  Of course.  He was finally here on Monday!  Woot!  I met Alecia for dinner, which was incredibly delicious.  And full of butter.  Then we met a friend I used to work with for coffee across from Heinz Hall.  We headed over at 8, bought some swag, hung out with my work friend a little longer, and then went in to our seats. 

As usual, it was a great show.  What I liked about this one was, without an album to promote, Moz pulled out a lot of older tracks.  Including at least a half dozen Smiths songs.  I don't think that he's played more than two or three the other times I've seen him.  I had a hard time choosing which video to include here.  I went with this one because, How Soon Is Now is just one of the best songs ever and it was the final song of the night.  Also, this guy must have been near us, because this is the exact view we had of the stage.  I think you can even hear Alecia and I screaming.  um.  Sorry about that?


Anyway.  It was a fantastic night out.  We didn't even mind the long line to pay at the garage because, yea!  More time to hang out together.

This week includes skiing for the Boy, Louis CK for me and the Husband, and the Girl's second birthday.  My fingers are crossed that the Bad and the Ugly stay the hell out of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment