Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Motorcycle Boy

Several days ago, the husband sent me this link about the woman who wrote 'Nine 1/2 Weeks'.  Ingeborg Day had a fascinating life and the article is a pretty interesting read.  I now know that the movie is based on a book- honestly, I had no idea.  Also, the book is based on a real life affair that she had in the 1970's.  While she was a single parent living in New York.  So, wow.  Maybe I'm naive, or catching up on what everyone else already knew.  But I was pretty surprised.  And that's only the half of it.  Seriously.  Go read the article if you haven't already.

It's not that I'm so invested in the story about 'Nine 1/2 Weeks'.  Or that I think that the movie is some cinematic gem.  Honestly, I haven't seen it since I was maybe seventeen?  But I mean, I was seventeen.  That was some pretty hot stuff for a senior in high school, and it made quite an impression on me.  There were a lot of things in that movie that, at that age, I had never, um, considered.  Or realized even that other people... considered those things.

Oh, but Mickey Rourke.  If you're not familiar with 1980's Mickey Rourke, then let me just say now that he is not the same Mickey Rourke from about the mid-90's on.  He can still act (see The Wrestler) of course.  But that face.  I was crushing hard on that face in 1986.

Yes.  This one.

Maybe the only other actor I liked even better as a teenager in the 1980's was Matt Dillon.  Rumble Fish came out in 1983, but it took me a couple of years to find out.  Oh, and I should mention that I was also a huge S.E. Hinton fan back in the day.  So the movie Rumble Fish?  With those two in the starring roles?  Cinema nirvana for me at the time.  Actually, I still love that movie.  Of the S.E. Hinton books that got turned into movies, that has remained my favorite.


(OK.  So this is not the video clip I would have chosen, but it's all right.  So many mash ups of Rumble Fish!  Which I guess is a form of flattery?  But seriously kids.  What is up with all the mash ups?  Old lady stepping off now...)

Maybe reading the article shouldn't have brought up memories of angsty teenage longing.  (Really, the husband was a little surprised when I finished reading the article that this is what I wanted to discuss.  What can you do.)  This is where my mind went though.  Which, now that I think about it, is not a bad place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment