Saturday, October 20, 2012

Shivers

I first heard the song 'Shivers' on the 'Dogs In Space' soundtrack.  I love that soundtrack.  I have to admit that there are a lot of Australian bands on there that I had never heard of before (I saw the movie three years after it was released- and the movie was set in the late 70s).  Actually, other than Michael Hutchence, I don't think I knew any of the Australian bands on that album.  The other bands and singers I knew- Iggy Pop, Brian Eno, Gang of Four.  But anyone who was Australian was new to me.

My favorite song on that soundtrack is 'Shivers', by the Boys Next Door.  It would be many years before I would learn that they were actually The Birthday Party before there was The Birthday Party.  Before I would even realize that that was Nick Cave singing lead vocals on the track.



Friday night we were hanging out at home, making dinner, and listening to 480 minutes on Soma FM (aka BAGel Radio).  They played a cover of 'Shivers' by Divine Fits.  I was ridiculously excited by this.  Because I love Divine Fits and I love that song and the two of them together just made me a bit giddy.  And, to hear that song on the radio.  Which I don't think I ever have.  Giddy about that too.  The feeling is like the one that you get when you realize that you and someone else are both crazy about the same band/author/director/whatever, and you've never met anyone who felt quite the way about them that you do.  And you're just so excited to meet someone who feels that way too.  In that moment, I felt that way about Britt Daniel.





Seriously.  Fucking fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Since you dig the BND, we 're a band from Greece, you know, that country with the Depression Thingy, we just released a 7'' EP on Gab Productions. Check it here: http://releases.gabproductions.com/album/silk-7
    It would make us very happy and we 'd probably stop doing all these drugs since there's only shit to eat around here*, if you wrote something about it.

    Thanx

    Rag


    *I'm joking, obviously

    ReplyDelete