Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Last Scan

The Tuesday after my isolation started, I went in for a follow up scan.  My scan was at 8am.  It was weird to have the whole routine feel so familiar.  Parking in the garage, making my way through the hospital, over the pedestrian bridge, and down to radiology.  Even the guy from nuclear medicine didn't call out my name.  He just looked at my folder, saw me sitting in the waiting room, and motioned for me to come back with him.  We were old pals by now.

This scan was much like the one I got on Day Zero.  We went to the same room and used the same machine.  The only difference seemed to be the time.  It felt like it went much more quickly.  Maybe ten minutes?  And then I was shown to a waiting room to get the results.  I didn't have to wait long.

The same doctor and resident showed up to give me the good news.  Everything looked great.  Even that small faint spot in my chest area was gone (almost certainly saliva as the doctor had suspected).  The only activity that could be seen was in my thyroid cavity, which is where the radioactive iodine should be.  I was told that the rai would continue to work on the remaining thyroid cells for about another month, and by then the remaining thyroid cells should be dead.

Can I just tell you how strange it feels to be happy that part of you is getting killed off?  I know that, in the end, my thyroid cells were doing me no favors.  But still.  Very strange.

So that was it.  I was free to go.  I headed home to try to get some things done before my family arrived.

2 comments:

  1. OK, well, I for one am sitting here crying my eyes out to hear this. I am so happy that this was all good news, that everyone was kind to you, and that it seems that all has gone well. I freaking love you, best friend of mine. I am so happy! This is the best blog entry I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't cry! It's all good. You're so awesome. And I freaking love you too.

      Delete