Friday, September 14, 2012

And Now for Something Completely Different

When I started this blog in 2009, I didn't know what my focus would be.  I meandered through about five months of posting.  Then life got busy, as it does.  And two months after that, I got really tired.  Because I was pregnant.  And I didn't post for a while.

Then!  I got thyroid cancer.  One of the good things that came of this- and believe it or not, there are a few- is that it motivated me to write again.  Writing is something that I enjoy, blogging is something that I enjoy, and it's felt good to be sure that I make time for myself at the keyboard.

Thyroid cancer has been my writing topic for most of my posts this year.  It has been six months since I felt the lump in my neck.  It has been four and a half months since my diagnosis.  Late spring and most of my summer were eaten up with surgery, worrying about and planning for my radioactive iodine treatment, and, of course, my treatment.  It has been about three weeks since I was told that I was in the clear.

It's great that, with the exception of a few follow up appointments and, probably yearly screenings, I will most likely be ok.  I couldn't be happier.  It does mean, though, that I'm probably at the end of writing about my cancer.  I'm sure that I'll mention any news that comes up, but really, for now I'm otherwise done.



So I find myself back in the same place I was in 2009.  Wanting to write, but direction-less.  Inevitably, I'll be writing about myself in some way.  Probably in a lot of ways, and in several directions.  I'm feeling the need to put it in writing, this permission to let myself write about other aspects of my life more regularly.  It's a way of making a clean break, when you don't really have an easy segue.  Like a man appearing on the screen to say, 'And now for something completely different...'



1 comment: