Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Upping the dose

So, when I was sent the results of my thyroid test, I was totally clueless as to what the numbers meant. And then I felt really stupid.

These were the numbers I received:

Comment- TSH/Thy.Stim.Horm
Your result- 12.65
Standard range- 0.40-4.50

I realized that I had no idea if a high number meant hyperthyroid or hypothyroid (turns out it's hypothyroid). I had to know so I looked it up. Then I got a call later that day from my doctor's office explaining the results and letting me know that my Synthroid dose would be going up to 125 mcg.

I thought, this will be great. I'd already been feeling pretty good on 100 mcg, so I thought I would be feeling even better on 125 mcg. Strangely, that wasn't the case. I felt more tired and more bloated than I had before. By the time we finished dinner every evening I was exhausted. Clothes that had fit me pretty well at the beginning of the summer were starting to get tight (I realize this could also have been a side effect of weaning). I couldn't believe that I felt worse. I tried looking it up online to see if it was normal. Maybe it was just my body adjusting to a new dosage? I couldn't find any information one way or another.

This went on for about a week. Then one morning I woke up feeling more like myself again. My energy level is now (mostly) back to normal and I'm feeling a little less bloated than I had been. I don't think I'm 100% yet, which I'm going to guess means I'm still hypothyroid. I have an appointment at the end of August to follow up on my Synthroid dose. Maybe they'll bump it up again and I'll feel even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment