Wednesday, August 8, 2012

LID

Yesterday was day one for me on the low-iodine diet.  I won't go into all the restrictions- you can find a complete list of them here. I'll tell you what I've been eating, and what I plan to eat.  It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  Maybe a little bland, but that's my fault since you can have most herbs and spices.  I should really be trying to get more creative.

Breakfast has been good, actually.  Probably my favorite meal of the day.  Oatmeal with cinnamon and blueberries.  I miss having a little milk in my coffee, and I find that I drink less of it when it's black.  Maybe I'm more tired and cranky than usual?  I can't really decide.  Maybe the kids are just making me crazy and the extra caffeine wouldn't help me anyway.

Lunch has been the same for the past two days.  A green salad with tomatoes and chicken, with olive oil, vinegar, and pepper.  Tastes good, but not overly filling.  I've been having fruit with it.  Today I also had some carrots with unsalted peanut butter.  That was actually way more delicious than what I expected.  The peanut butter was by Golden Organics and it was delicious.  So creamy, that I didn't miss the salt at all.

Yesterday I also snacked on raw cashews- definitely need to be spiced up.  I was not expecting them to be so bland and chewy.  I found a recipe for roasting them in the oven with some spices.  I may try that tomorrow, or I may just make cashew hummus.  I also snacked on matzoh crackers- very bland and I will be spreading peanut butter (or cashew hummus?) on them from here on out.

Last night for dinner I had chicken, chard, and a peeled potato mashed with a little sweet curry powder.  It was ok.  Part of my problem is that I don't usually eat chicken anyway, and I'm remembering now that I don't actually like it that much.  My husband cooked up a couple of chicken breasts for me though, and I feel like I need to finish them.  The diet limits you to 6 ozs. of fresh meat a day, so I probably won't finish the chicken until tomorrow.  I might try turkey meat for the rest of the diet instead.  I don't know that I can rely on egg whites and unsalted peanut butter for my sole protein sources.

Tonight it's an egg white omelet with some spinach- I may skip the chicken.  Thankfully you can still drink on this diet.  It would be sad indeed if I couldn't wash this stuff down with a glass of wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment