Saturday, August 4, 2012

Inside Out

When I left Radiology Monday morning, I had been urged to call the woman at Nuclear Medicine. Apparently, she really needed to finish going through some paperwork with me. Funny, because when I got home I had an email from Dr. E's nurse telling me the same thing. The woman at Nuclear Medicine told her that she had tried to contact me several times and I wasn't returning her calls.

This wasn't true and I hate being accused of something that I didn't do. I know it's cliche, but I'm a big believer in taking responsibility for my actions. So when someone thinks I did something that I didn't do, I get rather indignant. Because I would so totally own up to it if I did do it.

Anyway, me and my rotten attitude called the woman at Nuclear Medicine. She answered the phone right away. When I told her who I was she said she'd been trying to get in touch with me, and that she had left me messages in June and July. 'I don't know what numbers you called, but I never got the messages at home or on my cell.' I was bracing myself for her to give me a hard time, but she didn't. Clearly she had better things to do than argue with me over missed phone messages.

Actually, she ended up being very nice for the rest of our conversation. First she walked me through the calendar, letting me know what would happen when. The good news was that I wouldn't have to go off my thyroid meds at all during the treatment. I'd read where people had to go off of their Synthroid and it just added to their misery. I had also been prescribed an anti-nausea medication, Ondansetron, because the radioactive iodine (RAI) will often make people sick. I would bring this with me, take it an hour before getting my RAI dose, and then continue to take it every 6-8 hours for the first 24 hours of my treatment.

Other things to remember once I'd received the RAI- wash hands frequently, shower daily, and drinks lots of fluids. Even Gatorade, which I never drink, but they want patients to avoid getting sick from drinking too much water. Also, about 24 hours after I receive the RAI, I'm supposed to start sucking on Lemon Drops, or some other type of sour candy,  and continue for at least three days. This will stimulate my salivary glands and, hopefully, prevent the iodine from settling in there and causing future problems. Fun! But it did remind me of this:


I do love me some Mighty Lemon Drops.

1 comment:

  1. That's so strange about the lemon drops! Must stink for people who hate sour candy. Personally, I love those things! And I dug the video as well!

    ReplyDelete