Monday, August 6, 2012

I Scream

To get ready for my radioactive iodine treatment, I need to go on a low-iodine diet.  I'll be starting that tomorrow, Tuesday.  There is a lot that you can't have on a low-iodine diet.  So, what I wanted to do this past weekend was go out to dinner and enjoy some food that I won't be able to eat while I'm on the diet.

We went out Saturday night.  We decided to get some Indian food in Oakland.  We headed over to Atwood Street, which has lots of great ethnic restaurants, including this one, which is our favorite place in the city to grab Indian food.  It's always good and it's a pretty easy place to take the kids.  Parking along Atwood was no problem, because it's early August, and the Pitt students haven't come back yet for the new school year.

The food was delicious.  The husband got chicken curry, the boy got Tandoori chicken, and I got palak paneer, which I almost always get.  Very predictable.  We also split orders of naan and a vegetarian platter.  The girl ate a little bit off of everyone else's plate, but mostly had rice.  Toward the end of dinner she started to get restless.  I walked her to the front of the restaurant a couple of times, but the guys were still eating and she was starting to get shrieky.  We went outside.

It was a really nice night, very warm and summery.  The shop next to India Garden recently became a Latino market, and there was a bunch of guys outside eating taquitos from a cart.  The husband came outside, we threw our leftovers in the car, and then walked up the street to my most favorite ice cream shop anywhere.

A million years ago, when I worked in Oakland, stopping at Dave & Andy's was a big deal.  I love their ice cream, I love the shop, and I'm so glad that I get to share it with my kids now.  The guys got cookies & cream, and the girl and I split some strawberry shortcake.  Big chunks of strawberries and bits of shortbread cookie.  Serious perfection.  Just like the whole evening.


When we got back to the car the boy said, 'Well family, I had a great time tonight.  How about you all?'  Agreed.  It was most excellent.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Dave and Andy's is very cool. GOSH I can't wait to eat Indian food again! There wasn't one place in all of Winchester!

    ReplyDelete