Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Getting Ready

My appointment this morning wasn't until 10:30, and it was only for a Thyrogen shot.  I couldn't justify parking in the garage for that.  I can be pretty cheap about parking.  I'll drive around and around neighborhoods looking for street parking to avoid meters or garages.  Near the hospitals though, there's not much opportunity for that.  I parked at a meter roughly a block away and went to get my shot. 

The guy assured me that he remembered me from the day before, but he had to ask for my name and birthdate anyway.  'Who would come in two days in a row for a shot in the butt if they didn't have to?', he joked.  Yeah.  I guess so.

The way back to the car was all uphill.  And a steep hill at that.  The whole way up I walked by person after person smoking cigarettes.  I can't remember the last time I saw so many people in one place smoking.  Doctors, patients, maintenance workers, nurses, visitors, all up and down Lothrop St.  I even passed a meter maid taking a long drag while she wrote a ticket.  How could all these people smoke and manage that fucking hill every day?  It was crazy.  I have a few friends who still smoke and I'm fine with it, but I'm amazed at how many people still smoke.  The cost alone would have made me quit by this point.

I went back in the afternoon for an appointment with nuclear medicine.  The woman who took me back was really nice.  She was there to talk with me about my scan the next day.  She also had a low dose of iodine to give me.  It was for the scan, so they would be able to see where thyroid cells still were in my body.  The hope would be that everything was taken out and that nothing had spread.  This iodine was equivalent to the amount of radiation you might get on an airplane.  Totally safe to be around everyone.  Unlike the dose I would get Wednesday.  I was told not to worry when I saw the 'big-ass' lead cup that my large dose would be presented in.  'Some people freak out about the size,' I was told.  Honestly, I was just highly amused that she used the phrase big-ass with me.  I guess it's good that I don't look like someone who would be offended by that phrase?  Or maybe she doesn't care and says that to everyone anyway.

The rest of the day was spent getting ready for isolation.  The boy and I went grocery shopping together.  I bought lots of cheese.  Ohmigod, how I miss the cheese.  And the bread.  But I think I miss the cheese more.

We went home and tried to work on laundry, packing, all those things you need to do before you go away on a trip.  The husband would be taking off with the kids while I was at the hospital the next day.  It felt very strange.  I was going to miss them terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment