Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pink Hearts

I had gotten the body scan and now it was time to go get my blood drawn again.  As my mother and I walked across the street to the Falk Building, I called the husband to let him know about the earlier time.  It certainly wasn't the best news he could have gotten.  But he was pretty sure that he could round up the kiddos and get them out of the house by noon.

Once my blood was drawn, it was time to head back to nuclear medicine.  My mother and I took a detour to the cafeteria to see if there was anything I could eat before I got the RAI dose.  I had been told it was best to have something in my stomach, and I had originally expected to have a little bit of time to get something- maybe even go home to eat. The best I could find were some salads that I would have to pick through.  It felt like too much of a bother, so we just went to nuclear medicine.

They took us back almost right away.  I had to meet with a really nice woman who was the RAI safety expert.  She went over a lot of stuff that I already knew.
There were a couple of things that I asked her about though.  First of all, with the whole family out of the house, I had really hoped to get a lot of cleaning and organizing done.  Very lame, I know.  But this house has been a work in progress and, with a couple of young kids in the mix, it feels like it's perpetually a mess.  The woman who gave me my low-iodine dose yesterday actually teased me a little about it, and said I should just try to enjoy my vacation.  As dumb as it sounds though, I would enjoy my vacation more if I could get the cleaning done.  I'd feel really good about that.

Well, when I asked about it, I was told that maybe it would be a good idea if I put that off until the weekend.  Really, unless I decide to lick everything or pee everywhere (which would be so weird), it should be fine.  Especially if I wash my hands a lot.  But, to err on the side of caution, I should hold off.  I was also told to do anything in the kids' rooms on the last day or so of isolation.

My other question was about food.  Was it really ok for me to keep getting stuff in and out of the fridge?  Yes.  Well, what if I make a lasagna (ohmigodicantwait) and have leftover cheese?  Is that ok to put back?  She didn't seem too sure about that.  I was told it might not be a terrible idea to toss it.  Or use all of it in the lasagna and make it extra cheesy.  So!  I will now plan to clean out the fridge next Tuesday before everyone gets home.  It might be overkill?  But it seems hard to know for sure.

The meeting done, I was taken back to get my large dose.  It was very anticlimactic.  The people in Haz-Mat suits?  Not there.  The big-ass lead cup?  Meh.  Not so big.  The pill was also not too big- the size of a Tylenol maybe.  I put on gloves, took the pill, and washed it down with water.  I had taken my anti-nausea medication one hour before.  I was told that if I did get nauseous it would probably be in the first half hour.  One minute in, so far so good.

When we pulled up in front of the house  I noticed some pink hearts drawn in chalk on the risers of our stairs.  I thought, how sweet.  The kids were drawing while they waited to leave.  When I got up to the walkway though, I saw that they had drawn and written a lot more.  In big letters, 'We miss you Mom',  'The Boy & The Girl love you Mom', and 'Family' with a picture of all of us decorated the walkway.  It was just about the best thing ever.  Totally, totally made my day.  The kids.  They rock my world.

My mom picked up her things and headed back to Baltimore.  The house was quiet.  I had been told to definitely take it easy for the first couple of days.  I made myself some matzo crackers with peanut butter & jelly, and settled down in front of the tv.  All set for some R&R.

1 comment:

  1. That is so lovely! Pink hearts! That made me mist up. And the extra-cheesy lasagna? MAN. Sounds like a good way to fight of isolation blues!

    ReplyDelete