Sunday, July 15, 2012

Broth & Jello

I woke up at 1:30am, and for the first time since the surgery I wanted something to eat. I felt pretty good. I buzzed for the nurse and Alecia went into the hall to make sure she was coming to the room.

She came down, checked me out, and gave me my first meal. I was on a liquid diet. Broth and Jello was what I got. Alecia and I talked while I ate. I told her I felt pretty engorged. I hadn't nursed my daughter for almost 24 hours. 'Can you bring me the breast pump?' I asked. 'It should be over there in a Target bag.' My husband had told me he brought it in. Alecia looked and looked, but it wasn't anywhere. Probably still in the trunk of our car.

Instead, she brought me the iPad and I looked up hand expression. I'd never done it before, but I'd read enough about it. I figured at the very least I could get myself to a point where I was comfortable.

So, there I sat at 2am, eating broth, hand expressing into a cup, hooked up to an IV, with a large bandage on my neck. It was quite glamorous, as I'm sure you can imagine. I was very grateful that Alecia was there to help me with everything. I just felt badly that she was awake with me in the middle of the night. She had to drive back for a meeting four hours away. She was leaving around 5am.

'Don't worry about it,' she said. 'I knew what I was getting into. I wouldn't have offered if I thought it would be a problem.'

By 2:30 I had finished eating and I was comfortable again. We turned out the lights and went to sleep. The nurse came in for morning rounds just before 5am. When the nurse was done and had left the room, Alecia got up to go. It just took her a few minutes to get ready. When she left I went back to sleep for a couple of more hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment